Monday, August 19, 2013

Living Oblivious To Others

I was thinking about the importance of family and how we often lose sight of our heritage because we don't take the time to learn about prior generations. I recently had an opportunity to meet some older relatives on the opposite coast and we had a great time! My parents have been deceased for over 30 years so you can imagine what it felt like to talk with other relatives who knew them when they were children!

I learned stories about what my dad was like as a teen ager and it brought a whole new meaning to my memories of him. He never discussed his youth with me when he was alive. Yes, reminiscing with older relatives is a jewel and it shines light into the dark areas of unknown knowledge about prior generations. And it makes me think about how this current generation, does not necessarily value those stories.

I am saddened when I think about how today's generation almost seem to not care whether they know their heritage or not. Why do we not value our older generation? Why are we so self absorbed in living today and in being preoccupied with only what is in front of us in the moment, that we don't even stop to think about our older relatives? Why do we not care about our past? Some times I think about the sacrifice our older relatives made so we could have a better life and I sense a total lack of recognition for their efforts.

And I think about the sacrifice that Jesus made for us so many years ago...and how that often goes totally un-noticed in the daily lives of individuals. Folks that are so oblivious to this important event that they live their lives with out any regard for His sacrifice. I see a world that turns around, day and night, people living their lives with absolutely no acknowledgment of His sacrifice, or knowledge of His presence in their lives today.

I saw a rainbow today...and it reminded me of how God made a covenant with the Earth to never destroy it by flood again...Wow, just when I needed a reminder of Him in my daily routine.

Thank you Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Michelangelo Tangelo: